Monday, September 14, 2009

RJA #3A: Exploring Research Topic

On Google Scholar I found a book about Melungeons titled "Melungeons: Resurrection of a proud people...," and another titled "Melungeons: the last lost tribe in America," and several articles located on JSTOR.
Technorati, Debatepedia, or Squidoo returned zero results for the word 'Melungeon,' so maybe when some more of my work is gathered and cited I will be able to add to these sites.
Wikis were somewhat helpful, always a great summarization but never to be taken on face value.
Other sites returned a few various blogs, however none seemed to be very continuous in the coverage of Melungeons, and it was only mentioned in passing. Most of the relevant and scholarly sites were bookmarked using Delicious.
There seems to be sufficient information available to cover the many questions I have about the Melungeons, such as the following;
Who are they now?
What genome and phenotype do they have?
When did they become a tri-racial group, and approximately how long did that take?
Where are they from?
Why do they belong to a separate group or race rather than just one, two, or none?
Could it be possible that more of the rest of the American population is Melungeon but doesn't realize it?
And the burning question I have yet to answer... SHOULD they be classified separately?

2 comments:

  1. If you have read Kennedy's book then you should have a pretty good idea of who the Melungeons are now. I think probably 95% of Appalachian folks have Melungeon ancestry.

    I believe that the Melungeons have a Mediterranean ancestry along w/ NA/black/European white.

    There is ONLY ONE race and that is the human race. Each person should be FREE to decide upon the ancestry that they have and more than one line of ancestors is the norm! :-)

    Only the government can require 'racial' identity and because the Melungeons have more than one 'identity' they should be able to choose whichever one makes them most comfortable.

    See:
    http://www.melungeonhealth.org
    http://melungeonhealth.org/resources.html
    http://melungeonhealth.org/websites.html
    http://melungeonhealth.org/info.html

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nancy- Thanks for the website info, and I hope to remain in contact with you as I do more research. Yes, we are all of the human race, couldn't agree more! I am also proud of my Appalachian heritage (born and raised as such) and really I am researching from the purely biological approach for this paper. Genetics are fascinating to me. Please feel free to add any additional comments, or email me any websites that may not be marked on the Delicious account I have posted- I'll take everything I can get.
    ~Sara

    ReplyDelete